Sun Blade[tm] 2000 Workstation: Repair Procedures
This section provides the most common repair procedures for the
Sun Blade 1000 and Sun Blade 2000 workstations, which are included in the following
Sun Blade 1000
and Sun Blade 2000 Service Manual (816-3217)
The following table provides the page numbers for each procedure.
Note: A Sun Blade 2000 Hardware Documentation CD assembly,
part number 724-7196-02, is part of the accessory kit that ships inside the
carton with each Sun Blade 2000 Workstation. The documentation CD includes many
Sun Blade 2000 manuals. The files on the CD include movies for major hardware
service procedures. These movies can be viewed as standalone procedures, and
can also be reached by links within the HTML Service Manual on the Sun Blade
2000 Hardware Documentation CD.
- Guidelines for understanding and diagnosing UltraSPARC III Level 2
(L2) SRAM Cache Memory Errors (FIN I0887-1).
Improved firmware for Seagate 10K.6 disk drives will reduce the incidence of unexpected outages due to a spindle motor issue (I1136-1
- Fujitsu 73GB HDD will not be recognized during a 'boot net' operation
on Sun Blade 2000 or Sun Fire 280R platforms (FIN I0963-1).
- Power management issue causes loss of access to internal fiber channel
disks on the Sun Blade 1000/2000, Sun Fire V880, V480, and 280R (FIN
- Seagate ST336605FC 36GB and ST373405FC 73G drives could be susceptible
to label corruption (FIN I0816-1).
- Seagate Cheetah 7 146GB FC-AL and 73 GB FC-AL disk drives
may experience higher than expected failure rates due to
spindle motor failure (FCO A0256-1).
- Recovering from a failed FCAL boot disk (Problem article 1008580.1).
- Correcting device paths when replacing fiber boot disks after a ufsrestore
(How To article 1003103.1).
When using the Sun XVR-100 Graphics Accelerator window
system in 8 bit depth mode, desktop users will experience a colormap
flash problem depending on what application is being displayed (FIN
The 'fbconfig' (1M) command may return incorrect part
number for XVR-1000 Graphics Accelerator (FIN I0945-1
SunBlade 1000/2000 and Ultra 60/80 systems may exhibit
a blank screen upon boot up with an XVR-1000 Graphics Accelerator
installed (FCO A0200-1
- Diagnosing Main Memory errors versus L2SRAM errors on UltraSPARC III
and UltraSPARC III Cu systems (FIN I0954-1).
- New 256MB and 512MB LC1 DIMMs are now available ONLY for the Sun Blade
1000/2000 and Sun Fire 280R platforms (FIN I0883-1).
- On certain Sun Systems a small number of 512MB and 1GB Micron DIMMs may experience premature failures with Uncorrectable Memory Error (UE) messages. (FAB 1000920.1) (formerly FCO A0285-1)
- A sub-population of DIMMs that shipped between 2001 and 2002
on the below platforms are showing significantly lower
reliability than expected (FCO A0253-1).
- Systems containing 256MB Samsung B-die DIMMs, having a module date
code between 0115 and 0127 (built between weeks 15 and 27 of 2001),
may experience Uncorrectable Memory Errors (UE). This can lead to System
Panics (FCO A0223-1).
- Sun Blade 1000 workstations with 128MB DIMMs may have intermittant
Single Bit Correctable Errors (FCO A0181-1).
UltraSPARC III systems may panic due to a conflict
between the Schizo 2.4 ASIC and the GigaSwift Ethernet PCI Card
SunPCi II and SunPCi IIpro cards may not respond
after rapid/successive power cycling (FCO A0186-1
|Smart Card Reader
- Solaris 8 patches required for Smart Card Reader operation on Sun
Blade 100, 1000, and 2000 systems (FIN I0868-1).
- UltraSPARC III and III+ based platforms could be susceptible to UCC
errors that may cause system panics (FIN I0856-1).