Sun Microsystems, Inc.  Sun System Handbook - ISO 3.4 June 2011 Internal/Partner Edition
   Home | Current Systems | Former STK Products | EOL Systems | Components | General Info | Search | Feedback

Asset ID: 1-72-1004085.1
Update Date:2009-09-23
Solution Type  Problem Resolution Sure

Solution  1004085.1 :   Sun StorEdge [TM] 5310 NAS Appliance: NAS Gui shows no disk in the tray although the LEDs are blinking green on the tray

Related Items
  • Sun Storage 5310 NAS Appliance
Related Categories
  • GCS>Sun Microsystems>Storage - Disk>Network Attached Storage

PreviouslyPublishedAs
205688

Symptoms
There may be a situation sometimes when the disk trays in a SE53x0 NAS show all the disks as OK physically (from LED status etc.) but the disks are not available for use through the NAS GUI or CLI. The solution is to re-initialise the disk using the NAS Recovery Manager (NRM) or Santricity.
Caution : The procedure to initialize the disk will remove all the configuration from the disk.

Resolution
The above symptoms might happen if a disk assigned to a LUN was moved to another LUN in a different or same tray.If the original lun isn't deleted, or if the drives being introduced were not part of an active volume, the problem is
avoided.
Procedure:
1. Open the Santricity or NRM application.
2. Click on Edit->Add Device
3. Punch in the IP address of the storage controller and click OK.
4. Right click on your array under Out-of-band Storage Arrays Tab and click Manage Storage Array.
5. Note that some of the disks are shown with a yellow diamond symbol on them. These are the disks which are unavailable for use.
6.Click on Advanced -> Recovery -> Initialize -> Drive.
7.This operation needs to be repeated on all drives that went offline and the drives available for use.

Product
Sun StorageTek 5310 NAS Appliance

Internal Comments
The Santricity or NRM for Sparc,x86 or Windows can be downloaded from the following locations:

ftp://audi-bur.east/pub/se5k/engenio/NRM/for_CSM2/
http://pts-storage.west/products/SE5210/index10.html

initialise, initialize, unavailable, use, 5310, 6130, 5320, NAS, no disk
Previously Published As
86020

Change History
Date: 2006-06-28
User Name: 31620
Action: Approved
Comment: Verified Metadata - ok
Verified Keywords - ok
Verified still correct for audience - currently set to contract
Audience left at contract as per FvF at
http://kmo.central/howto/content/voyager-contributor-standards.html
Checked review date - currently set to 2007-06-21
Checked for TM - changed it to be approriate for product discussed
Also removed an incorrect piece of product metadata
Publishing under the current publication rules of 18 Apr 2005:

Subject: Re: New user comment
From: vickie
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 08:30:29 -0700
CC: [email protected], [email protected]

5310

[email protected] wrote:

> A new user comment has been posted to a document.
>
> http://cms.central.sun.com/control/kmoView.do?operation=View&sourceController=summary&assetDBID=KBA_ASSET_1143726
>
> Title: Sun StorEdge[tm] 53x0 : NAS Gui shows no disk in the tray although the LEDs are blinking green on the tray
>
> Author/Updater: [email protected]
>
> Doc ID: 86020
> User Comment: Hi Satinder and Vickie,
>
> We have a little confict with product names here...
>
> In the product metadata field in this article we have 2 different product types associated with this article...
> Sun StorEdge 5310 NAS Appliance and StorageTek 5320
>

> Can you let me know which one is appropriate for this article.
>
> I will publish it once I know.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Andy
Version: 3

From: vickie
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 06:33:35 -0700
To: [email protected]
CC: [email protected], [email protected]

No , two different appliances.

[email protected] wrote:

> A new user comment has been posted to a document.
>
> http://cms.central.sun.com/control/kmoView.do?operation=View&sourceController=summary&assetDBID=KBA_ASSET_1143726
>
> Title: Sun StorEdge[tm] 53x0 : NAS Gui shows no disk in the tray although the LEDs are blinking green on the tray
>
> Author/Updater: [email protected]
>
> Doc ID: 86020
> User Comment: Hi, Vickie and Satinder,
>
> Before I publish this article, can you please tell me if a StorageTek 5320 NAS appliance is the same as a Sun StorEdge 5310 NAS Appliance ?
>
> The reason I am asking about this is to do with TradeMarking.
>
> Please let me know if they are the same product...
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Andy

Version: 0

Date: 2006-06-26
User Name: 31620
Action: Accept
Comment:
Version: 0
Date: 2006-06-26
User Name: 109562
Action: Approved
Comment: Changed reference ro 5x10 ->53x0;other minor changes
Version: 0
Date: 2006-06-21
User Name: 109562
Action: Accept
Comment:
Version: 0
Date: 2006-06-21
User Name: 157909
Action: Unlock
Comment:
Version: 0
Date: 2006-06-21
User Name: 157909
Action: Accept
Comment:
Version: 0
Date: 2006-06-21
User Name: 157909
Action: Approved
Comment: Kindly Review.
Version: 0
Date: 2006-06-21
User Name: 157909
Action: Created
Comment:
Version: 0
Product_uuid
63654ce5-f88d-11d8-ab63-080020a9ed93|Sun StorageTek 5310 NAS Appliance

Attachments
This solution has no attachment
  Copyright © 2011 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All rights reserved.
 Feedback